With the government making big news recently about our current state of debt, it should make us look closer at our own personal debts. Though it might seem confusing how our government can "fall behind", there are some key things to watch on your personal accounts so you don't follow their lead.
Did you know?
- National average credit card debt per household with a credit card is $15,799
- The average college graduate has nearly $20,000 in debt.
- The average credit card interest rate is 14.26%
- The average American household has 13 credit cards
- Nearly 25% of all bankruptcies filed in recent years are done by consumers under the age of 25.
Managing your debt, monthly payments and spending habits can help keep your finances in order and hopefully eliminate that chance of having late payments or going into collections. If you feel overwhelmed with your finances, there is help out there - check with your local credit union, financial adviser's or even local debt counseling services.
If unexpected expenses occur and you find yourself looking for help, forgetting about your debts and ignoring your credit providers will not make things easier. We have many resources for you to use. Even in the privacy of your own home you can begin to check out your financial condition with a program called Debt in Focus. Check out www.southpointfed.com for the link or contact us - we're here to make sure what you've worked so hard for is secure.
Mark Newman - Business Services Rep/Collections Rep